Shawn Wilkinson, founder and lead developer of Storj, joins us for our first deep dive into a decentralized application. Storj’s particular domain is the decentralization of cloud storage. Their applications allow users to store their files in a decentralized peer-to-peer network that promises to be more secure and effective. At the same time, it creates a market where people can earn money by renting out spare hard disk space.
Topics we discussed in this episode
- Why cloud storage lends itself to decentralization
- How the efficiency of Storj compares to conventional providers like Dropbox
- The architecture of Storj including the applications Driveminer and Metadisk
- How Storj interacts with protocols such as Counterparty and Ethereum
- The Storjcoin X crowdsale and its economics