Legendary scientist and cryptography pioneer Ralph Merkle joined us to discuss his recent paper on DAOs. Merkle examined how the voting mechanisms in today’s democracies are flawed and how a decentralized, transparent DAO making decisions using prediction markets could create more efficient democratic systems.
Topics we discussed in this episode
- Merkle proofs, Merkle Roots and his early forays into cryptography
- Blockchains as living organisms
- Why DAOs will be subject to a Darwinian evolutionary process
- Why voting is flawed and we need new governance methods to save democracy
- The concept of a DAO democracy
- How prediction markets and futarchy would help govern a DAO democracy