Base – The Optimistic Gateway to Crypto Adoption
Layer 2 scaling solutions are widely regarded as the next step forward in the mainstream adoption of crypto as they enable higher throughput and lower transaction fees. Coinbase’s recent announcement of building an optimistic rollup solution called Base is proof (no pun intended) that major centralised actors view this as an opportunity to onboard new users in a decentralised crypto economy. The following years will abound in innovation as both optimistic and zero-knowledge rollup solutions still have plenty of room to grow, but the involvement of centralised entities will act as a catalyst from a technological, as well as a regulatory standpoint.
We were joined by Jesse Pollak, Head of Protocol at Coinbase, to discuss the thesis & business model behind Base and how it will act as an interoperable bridge to onboard the next billion users on-chain.
Topics discussed in the episode
- Jesse’s background and his role as Head of Protocol at Coinbase
- Base’s business model & thesis
- Building on the Optimism stack
- How regulations are going to influence users of Base (vs. Coinbase)
- Learning from the competition (BSC)
- Different fee markets to offset transaction costs
- Why Base chose the Optimism stack
- Base’s upgradeability
- Tackling Optimism’s withdrawal period
- Bootstrapping Base
- Future roadmap and mainnet timeline
OmniOmni is your new favorite multi-chain, mobile wallet. Tired of having a different wallet for every chain? Get Omni today and get the power of Web 3 across all chains right at your fingertips: https://omni.app/